To honour individuals who have demonstrated excellence in the South African Boat Building industry. The awards seek to recognise people who are masters in their trade and those responsible for making/production, the shopfloor or design office. It is open to everyone, whether they have a formal qualification or not.
Terms and Conditions of participation
- Participation is free and it is open to all South Africans citizens and residents. Membership of SABBEX/BSA is not a pre-requisite. See each category for the type of nomination expected.
- Nominations can be made by individuals or businesses in the boat building sector or by anyone working the marine industry.
- Multiple nominations can be made by one person/company, but each must be unique.
- Nominations must include the mandatory fields on the nomination form and should include a detailed explanation as to why they should win the award.
- It is requested that nominations include:
- Letters of support for the nominee’s achievements
- A high-resolution photograph of the nominee (only jpg, png, gif, tiff and bmp format, 300 dpi preferred and at least 1200 x 600 pixels).
- Judges may reallocate a nomination to a different category if they find it will be better placed there.
- No SABBEX Board member, staff member or third-party consultant or person involved in judging or administering the competition may stand for nomination.
- All shortlisted nominations will be featured at the Annual Industry Awards Dinner on the 18th of May 2022.
- All shortlisted nominees will avail themselves for a 2 minute video profile to be taken by a Third Party videographer prior to the Awards Dinner.
- A press release, social media, video and IBI coverage will be circulated immediately following the Awards Dinner.
- Judges will draw on their extensive experience in the boat building industry and the information and motivations submitted in the nominations.
- Judges will look for inspirational examples of service and work in the boat building industry.
All the awards are open to individuals who have made outstanding contributions in the following areas:
Excellence in Boat Building
Nominees for this award will have demonstrated excellence in marine manufacturing. A hands-on artisan who works to exacting international standards and seeks to improve product quality and processes. Nominees will be problem solvers with outstanding practical skills and leadership.
This award seeks to recognise a woman in the industry who is driving change and in doing so, breaking down barriers and creating new possibilities for the next generation. Nominees will be inspirational women who champion the participation of women in the boating workforce.
Individuals in this category will be aged 35 or under and they will demonstrate a significant impact in the company they work for. This could include procurement, design, boat building, management or any other boating discipline. The Rising Star category seeks to recognise young people who have made an impact.
This award recognises project managers and supervisors who have had a positive impact on production processes. They will demonstrate tangible benefits such as improved efficiencies, streamlined processes, cost savings, improved quality and good staff morale. They will be natural leaders who see the bigger picture.
Individuals in this category will have demonstrated excellent customer service. Nominees will have provided outstanding service to their clients, going above and beyond the call of duty. This could include repairs, retail, brokering or any other aspect of the boating industry in South Africa.
Safety and environment
Nominees for this award will demonstrate a commitment to creating a safer working environment and reducing the environmental impact of production. Efforts at sustainability, recycling and environmental stewardship will also be considered.
This award seeks to recognise an individual in the industry who is committed to developing the skills and expertise of new and existing employees through mentorship, on the job training, leadership and guidance. Focused on continual staff improvement, this nominee will have supported junior staff and developed their boat building skills and acumen during their tenure in the industry.
Excellence in Boat design
This award recognises an individual in a drawing office who has made an outstanding contribution to the boat design process. Nominees will be people who “think out of the box” and provide design solutions and efficiencies either in a boat yard or in a design office or naval architectural firm.
We invite nominations for an artisan who has made boat building their life. They will have made a significant impact in the companies they have worked for, in many different facets of the business.
- Nominations close 9 April 2022
- The jury will reach its decision on short listed nominees by 22 April 2022.
- There are no cash or other alternatives to the prizes.
- The decision of the judges is final. There will be no opportunity to question the decision of the judges an no correspondence will be entered into.
- Individuals by virtue of their participation are considered having granted permission for the entries to be featured and their names to be published. They also grant permission for the circulation of entry photos, video coverage and motivations.
For more information please contact
Thina Qutywa, SABBEX | E email@example.com | T 072 460 5587