The following is an update on the fire reported on 2 November 2016 on board the MFV “Verano”, a fishing trawler berthed at quay 703 in the Port of Cape Town:
- The fire was fully extinguished as at 18:00 on 8 November 2016.
- All boundary cooling activities are discontinued, though fire services have been placed on standby for any emergencies.
- The vessel is still listing to starboard but remains stable.
- The appointed Salvors have fully mobilized on site.
- Daily operational meetings with Salvors continue.
- The cause of the incident remains undetermined at this stage.
- The port continues to operate as per normal, with the incident having no further impact on operations.